Monday, February 2, 2015

Week 5: GETTING CLOSE!

I played another pretty bad basketball game tonight, but I had a bunch of energy left after the game, so I attempted several dunks.

Unfortunately, I forgot my phone/camera to take video... I'll have to try and describe how close I'm getting:
  • Running Vertical: I can still consistently get 2/3 of my 8.5" hand over the rim, which is about 10'6"-10'7" max vertical jump. I'm going to record this as 10'7", which gets me to a 30" running vertical.
  • Dunk Attempts:
    • I realized that with my large hands, and my ability to palm the ball, I may not need to get up as high as some other dunk trainers that I've studied on YouTube etc.
    • I got about 10 attempts over the rim, and squeezed a couple in!  Still, none of these were clean dunks, so I can't say that I've reached my goal yet.
    • I'm learning more and more about jumping technique.  My best dunk attempts were where I ran in from the left of the basket, took off in front of the basket, and then tried to get the ball over the right side of the rim with my right hand. I've noticed that I lose a LOT of momentum when I and holding the ball vs. jumping without the ball.  I still need to work on my explosiveness both with and without the ball.
Overall, I'm really encouraged, and I'm feeling that a few more weeks of training (and some more weight loss) should get me to my goal!

(I had this poster on my wall as a kid)

No comments:

Post a Comment