Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Hitting the Reset Button


It's been a few weeks since my last post, and I've spent most of that time with some nagging injuries (ankle, knee).  I haven't been exercising as consistently, and I've put on 10 pounds from my recent low of 215 lbs.

But, my knees/ankles are coming back slowly, and I am still committed to dunking in my 40's.  I've decided that I need to re-focus on my main goals, and track them more closely.

So, here's my "reset" stats:

Age: 40
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 225 lbs

Standing Reach:  8'1"
No-Step Vertical: 23"?
Max Vertical: 30.7"

I need to re-measure my standing (no-step) vertical and max (running) vertical, as I haven't tracked those in a while. To try and be accurate with these stats, I bought a pretty cool new "toy" called VERT:
https://www.myvert.com/collections/vert/products/vert-wearable-jump-monitor



I just opened the package today, and tried it out in my basement.  The device works very easily (clips to your shorts just like an old pager), and the app tracks all of your jumps and calculates average/max jumps per session.  Today I only got to a maximum of 26.6", but I'm pretty sure that I can beat that on a real court instead of a carpeted basement floor.  I will make sure to try a few jumps on a proper basketball court next week to see where I'm at.

UPDATE:  I tried out the VERT tracker on the court today, and the results were much better.  I had several jumps in the 28"-30" range, and a Max Vertical of 30.7".  Unfortunately, I had forgotten to measure my no-step vertical, so I'll have to do that next time.

4 comments:

  1. I'm just stumbling onto your blog after reading the Michael McKnight article on Sports Illustrated. Like many I'm trying to work my way back to dunking, around 6'5" but solidly out of shape around 260 but just started playing ball again after 8 years off the court. Used to be able to dunk easily but never did it in a game so my goal before its too late is to really get into shape and dunk at least once in a game. After read the article I realized how poor my technique was so feeling I could really improve if I put the time into it. Looking forward to updates as I have favorited your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there... bad timing that I basically skipped 7-8 months of posts after you favorited my blog!

      I love to hear about others on this "journey" to dunking in 30's/40's... when I first started trying to dunk again, it was hard to find anyone out there doing it.

      I'm back in a league soon after a few months off, and should be able to post a bit more content as I try to keep dunking at age 41+.

      Delete
  2. Very useful article. This is full of information I can't wait to dig deep and start utilising the useful resource given by you. This is probably the best blog I came across today. I Just want to say that that if anyone looking for Online Printing Services then Printyourorder offer the highest quality prints at affordable prices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am impressed with your words. I generally prefer to shop online printing services for my business cards. Thanks for sharing.....

    ReplyDelete